Easy Gluten-Free Stew (Lamb or Meatless)
In cold weather, Husband makes lamb stew for us. It lasts a few days and is great to have during busy work weeks when you come in the door wanting comfort food.
This keeps well in the fridge a few days but doesn't freeze well due to the potatoes and carrots. This can be made without meat and beef stock for a vegan / vegetarian version.
Notes about Lamb: Make sure if you buy already cubed meat that it is trimmed lean so your stew is not greasy. You can get trimmed and cubed lamb from most grocers, which is more expensive, or buy a small de-boned leg of lamb and trim it. If you would like to make this stew meatless, it is still delicious, just use veggie stock and omit the lamb.
Active Time: 20 minutes SlowCook Time: 6-10 hours Timesaver: 3 hours*
Crock Pot or InstantPot with Slow Cooker feature
• 1 1/2- 2 lbs lamb, cubed and trimmed
• several springs fresh thyme
• several springs fresh rosemary
• 2 cups no salt added beef broth (or substitute vegetable broth)
• One bag each frozen peas, carrots, corn and/or green beans
• 1/2 large or one small yellow onion, chopped roughly
• 2 TBSP minced garlic
• Dried Spices: Savory, sage, basil, oregano (several liberal shakes of each)
• Pink salt and fresh ground pepper (several turns of each)
• 6 oz crushed tomatoes
• 2 russet potatoes, chopped up
• 2 tbsp canola or olive oil for browning
• 2 TBSP gluten free flour ( try this one from Namaste foods)
• 1 cup water , 1/2 cup water (divided)
In heavy skillet over medium heat, OR in Instantpot on sautee setting, sear lamb meat with half of the fresh and all of the dried spices and half of the onions, until brown on all sides - work in batches if needed.Use a few splashes of Sangiovese or beer to deglaze the pan and up browned bits.
Add all other ingredients except 1/2 cup water and flour to the pot.
Add lamb, spices, and onions to crock pot.
Turn InstantPot to Slow cook or crock pot on high for 2 hours, then low for another 4 hours. Alternately if you want to leave the house, you can low cook it for 8 hours.
*TIME-SAVER METHOD: In InstantPot, after sauteing, manual cook 1 hour in Instant pot, natural release for 10 minutes, quick release, then slow cook 2 hours.
Before eating, mix flour and 1/2 cup cold water, stir vigorously to combine. Stir into the pot and let it low heat for 5 minutes or so. This thickens it a bit. Enjoy!